5 tips to choose the right clothing for your children (needs & weather appropriate)
As parents, we know how shopping for your child can be a daunting task. There are so many factors to consider. Right from safety and comfort to trends and children's preferences. Are you looking for some mom-approved advice to make this task a breeze? Here we go.
Children love to take part in decisions on how they dress. It's important to ensure they have a wardrobe full of clothes they like and which is easy to maintain too.
We asked a few parents how they ensure a perfect wardrobe for their children. Here's a 5-step guide:
- High-quality - “As children grow very fast, parents may often be tempted to buy trends over quality. One of the key things I’ve learned is to get high-quality apparel that will last several washes. Children play and get dirty and need clothing that is durable and stays the same for a long time."
- Natural, breathable materials - “Cannot stress this enough. Children’s skin is so sensitive. It is so important to buy natural fabrics right from when they are little. At MMO all products are made with GOTS certified 100% organic cotton making it super soft for my baby's skin.” You can find them here.
- Good design - “Good innovative designs are so important in children's clothing. Keeping convenience, comfort & style in mind, the kimonos at MMO have been my absolute go-to! Not to forget the buttery soft goodness of organic cotton and ease in diaper changes” You can find them here.
- Freedom of movement - “No matter the occasion, I love my children being able to run, leap, twirl, and play in whatever they are wearing. To put them in clothes that restrict movement is a complete no-no. Relaxed silhouettes with adorable details are my favorite and my children love them too.” For the cutest designs click here.
- Easy to clean - “Children will play as they should and get dirty beyond your imagination. Clothes that can be machine washed without losing their shape are my top priority.”
It is also important that the child is dressed to match the different weather conditions. When it comes to dressing according to the weather, it is important to consider their age, activity level, and of course the season.
Younger children need more layers than older children to keep them warm in cold weather. Depending on the season, different types of clothing will be necessary. During the winter, it is important to have a warm coat, hat, and gloves to keep your child protected from the cold. In the summer, lightweight clothing made of organic cotton is best to keep them cool. In the spring and fall, transitional layers like sweaters and light jackets can be great for keeping your child comfortable.
As your children learn to dress independently, it's good to teach them the importance of dressing for the weather too. When given choices and independence, children often understand things better. They are less likely to throw a tantrum when you add that fleece on their pretty sundress as the seasons' transition.
"When vision is clear, strategy becomes easy." Following the 5-step guide will ensure a wardrobe that will be classic, good for the child's skin, and durable to last a long time. Shopping then may actually become something fun you do with your child rather than a task.