"We have neglected the truth that a good farmer is a craftsman of the highest order, a kind of artist.” and we need them as much as they need us.
Due to the high demand for cotton, there is often a lot of pressure on the farmers in traditional farming. There is little to no regard for their health and well-being. The pesticides used in such farming also create havoc on the soil, the people and the environment.
If you share our love for organic cotton & the planet, then you are at the right place.Organic cotton is grown without the use of synthetic fertilizers, and pesticides. It works with nature rather than against it. The cotton produced is better for our baby’s gentle skin, the environment, and the community at large.
It is grown using natural methods and is a more sustainable and eco-friendly option than its conventional counterpart. You can learn more about the difference between traditional and organic cotton, here.
Organic cotton production supports farmers and communities by providing them with a more natural way to grow cotton. It also offers them a variety of economic and environmental benefits. Here are the 5 prominent benefits of growing organic cotton:
- Crop rotation- Organic farming enables crop rotation. Planting a different crop each growing season is useful in preventing soil diseases, and pests, and for building healthy soils. Rotational crops, play a key role in helping farmers have more diverse incomes. It also reduces their reliance on a mono-crop commodity culture.
- Exposure to toxic chemicals - Organic cotton uses only natural fertilisers such as compost & green manures to grow their crop. This prevents farmers & their families from any exposure to toxic chemicals. It also helps to protect the environment by reducing the amount of waste and carbon emissions in the water & air.
- Better yield: It helps farmers better manage their resources while increasing their yield and profits. Organic farming relies on natural methods such as crop rotation, composting, and biological pest control to produce healthy crops. The use of these methods helps to reduce the cost of production, increase yields, and improve the quality of the cotton.
- Employment: Organic cotton production benefits communities by providing employment opportunities for local farmers. By growing organic cotton, farmers can create jobs for their families and community members. This can help to reduce poverty and improve the quality of life in their communities.
- Better soil health- Its production saves water waste and supports greater soil health and biodiversity. Organic cotton has the potential to reduce global warming and ensures fertile soil and land for future generations.
More and more farmers are shifting to organic farming knowing the benefits for them, their land, and their children.
How can we ensure that the products we use are made keeping in mind the planet and the people involved? The best way to know is to look out for a GOTS-certified label. At Make Make Organics all are products are made using GOTS certified organic cotton.
By choosing organic cotton, you are giving your baby a superior quality product that’s kinder to their delicate skin and the world around them. Find them here.