“Buy less, choose well, make it last” is a strong phenomenon we are all paying attention to today but what about our children? Between sauce-filled lunches and outgrown sizes, children do need a lot of clothes. As parents, how can we ensure to stay away from the fast fashion wagon and give our children the very best of health & well-being?
We understand how much research you put into every decision for your child. Organic cotton is a great choice for children's clothing because it is free from chemicals and pesticides. It is also durable, breathable, and hypoallergenic - making it an ideal choice for a child's wardrobe. Not to forget, the benefits it has on the environment and the world at large. Learn more here.
Read along for a few tips to help you get started on this journey toward a greener wardrobe for your children.
1. Start with the basics: The first step to incorporating organic cotton into your child's wardrobe is to start with the basics. Think of organic cotton as the foundation of your child's wardrobe. Look for organic cotton t-shirts, long-sleeve shirts, and pants that can be used as building blocks for a variety of outfits. At Make Make Organics we use organic cotton to create buttery soft clothing in subtle, happy prints for children. Check them out here.
2. Choose quality over quantity: Children are active beings. They run, jump, play and spill a lot, which means clothes go through more wash cycles than we had assumed. Buying well-made clothes ensure the products last longer, without losing their color or shape. Fast fashion is often made cheaply - and it isn’t made to last. Whilst it saves money in the short term, buying better, more durable clothes can help you save over the long term.
3. Trust through certifications: Looking for labels and certifications can help in building trust and ensuring the authenticity of the product. The Global Organic Textile Standard is the world’s highest certification in organic fibres with very strict criteria. All our products are GOTS certified ensuring that you are buying the highest-quality products produced in the most ethical manner possible.
4. Try simple clothing hacks: Can you repurpose that dress that no longer fits as a cute top on your baby girl? Or pass on the clothing that is small to the younger siblings? Simple clothing hacks can help increase the life span of a garment. The longer the lifespan, the better it is for the environment.
5. Look after the clothes and teach your children the same: Globally, an estimated 92 million tonnes of textiles waste is created each year that ends up on landfill sites. How much of that can be saved by just taking care of our clothes and increasing their longevity? Organic cotton products are sturdy, durable and last longer. By buying organic cotton and taking care of them, you not only help the environment but also spend less in the long run.
Organic cotton is a natural fiber with incredible qualities. When it is incorporated into our children’s daily lives, it creates a classic wardrobe full of pieces that are made with the highest comfort and quality. The assurance that the products we buy for our children are reliable, gentle, and kind not only to them but to the Earth at large definitely has us going this route.Amidst a million decisions we make as parents every day, we hope the decision to create a softer, safer world for your little ones is an easier one.